Please read Act 1, scene 3 (here: http://nfs.sparknotes.com/merchant/page_34.html) from Shylock: ‘Signor Antonio, many a time and oft…’ to ‘I’ll lend you thus much moneys?’ (on the following page).
- Make a full list of Antonio’s insults and abuses against Shylock.
- How might these insults and abuses explain Shylock’s attitude towards Antonio?
An independent enquirer working at:
- Grade C will explore meanings of the insults and then explain how they influence Shylock’s attitude and behaviour
- Grade B will point out convincing connections between different parts of the play
- Grade A will analyse and then evaluate (come to a judgment about) different interpretations of how Shylock is seen in the play: villain or victim